Friday, April 4, 2008

Remembering Dr. Martin Luther King


There are events that standout in our lives that help shape our character; the assassination of Dr. King was one such event for me.

Sitting in my living room watching television as my mother was ironing clothes the TV suddenly froze, the screen became consumed with an eerie darkest. Without warning the darkness was accompanied by a high-pitch squeal, and the words “Special Report” flashed on the screen. The announcer simply stated, without emotion, that Dr. Martin Luther King had been killed. And there it was, a lifetime of achieved reduced to a 30 second announcement.

I remember thinking – “Why would anyone want to kill this man.” Asking my mother this question her only reply was – “I don’t know honey, I don’t know.” My mother stopped ironing and sat down to listen to the rest of the news story, silent.

Dr. King stood for justice, peace, and compassion for all Americans, for all humanity. We honor his life by remembering his legacy and dedicated ourselves to his message.

No comments: