Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Back to the Future


My father is a great admirer of General Patton. The movie PATTON was the first movie my father and I attended together. At the age of 12, he gave me a biography of one of America's greatest tacticians for my birthday. I think many men find it easy to admire someone like Patton because he looked at life as black and white, right or wrong, courageous or cowardice.

Patton was a paradox. He read the bible and believed in the power of prayer, but also believed in reincarnation. He had to repeat his first year at West Point due to poor mathematical skills. But the following year he disguised himself by achieving honors and would be later known as a military genius. He was promoted through the ranks faster than General/President Eisenhower, yet lack the diplomatic temperament to avoid controversy.

I have often wondered what historical figures, like Patton, from the pass might say if they were alive today. How would they react to America's actions and place in the world? Recently a video was posted on the Internet featuring the famous opening scene of the movie Patton. This video has been one of the most talked about this past week and worth viewing.


No comments: