Thursday, August 30, 2007

Peace of the Lord

The U.S. Constitution guarantees Americans the Freedom of Religion. The fact that I can openly state that I am a Christian, although distasteful to some people, is a blessing that has been afforded all of us, but it came at a heavy cost.

I am able to bow my head and pray freely because of the sacrifices of many. Christ died on the cross for our sins. Most of the apostles were martyred for their beliefs. Many Christians have been killed simple because they accepted Jesus Christ as their personal savor. Governments and rulers have waged brutal campaigns against people, often their own citizens, because of their devotion to a carpenter from Nazareth.

Have you ever wondered what your relationship with Christ would have been if you were raised in a communist country such as the Soviet Union, Cuba, or China. How long would you have been able to openly express your Christian faith in Iran, Afghanistan, or Darfur? Would you have the strength of your convictions “to fear no evil (Psalm 23:1-6),” and stand openly with Christ when your very life was at stake merely because you were a Christian? Would I? How many people do you think have been put to that test?

In China, thousands have converted to Christianity, under the watchful eye of an oppressive regime:

China Launches Nation-Wide Crackdown

Christian missionaries are kidnapped and held hostage because of their devotion to Christ:

Christians Held Hostage (2005)
23 Missionaries Held Hostage - 1 Killed

Millions of people are “living in” Christ every waking moment. They face arrest, separation from family, and even death for their faith. They do not have a Constitution that guarantees them freedom to worship God. Yet they have the strength to believe in the words of Christ
- “I am the way and the truth and the life (John.14:6).” For you see, they realize that Jesus not only came to show us the way... He Himself is the Way! Jesus not only came to teach us the truth... He himself is the only Truth! Jesus not only came to show us how to live... He himself is the only Life! Jesus Himself is our bread of life, and our light, and our creator, and our savior, and the resurrection.

The reality is that it takes only one person to show us what true affection for Christ looks like. We need to only look to the strength of Columbine High School student Cassie Bernall, and those like her. When a classmate trained a gun on her and asked if she believed in God, Cassie said "Yes". What would you have said?

In the end it is important for us to remember that the Constitution is merely a piece of paper, meaningless without the strength of a free, devoted America that believes in four simple words…… “IN GOD WE TRUST.” The truth is that it is not the Constitution that gives us our right to worship Christ, but our convictions to accept the love of God without fear, as Cassie and millions of others have. But the Constitution allows us the freedoms many of our fellow Christians don’t have. Too many of us have forgotten that.

So I turn back to the words in Psalm 23:1-6. To me, and I am sure others, Psalm 23:1- 6, is not about facing death. It is in fact about our life and relationship with Christ:

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want; He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters; He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for His name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil; for Thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of my enemies; Thou anointest my head with oil, my cup overflows. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of The Lord for ever. (Psalm 23:1-6)

God Bless You and May the Peace of the Lord be with you.

No comments: